Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

How to Know if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

How to Know if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Our Mechanicsburg emergency vets know that dogs love to chomp on things they shouldn't. As a responsible pet owner, it's important to be able to spot the first signs of a dog being poisoned and know what to do if your dog is showing poisoning signs. 

Dog Poisoning

The most common cases of dogs being poisoned are unintentional accidents. Frequently our family pets have gotten into things they shouldn't have and loving dog owners are left panicked and wondering what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or have simply eaten treats that are not appropriate for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden are full of items that could be toxic or poisonous to your dog. That is why it is critical to know where your dog is at all times and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

How can I tell if my dog has been poisoned?

How do you know if your dog has been poisoned? Here are some common signs:

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take a number of days to appear, and in some cases could even take months. 

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you know that your dog has eaten something poisonous it is essential to get treatment immediately. The fact that your dog doesn't display any symptoms right away does not mean that they are safe from the effects of the poisonous substance!

Long-term effects of your dog being exposed to poisonous substances include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, blood loss, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.

What To Do If Yout Think Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned stay calm and call your Mechanicsburg emergency vet, immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, they may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Do not attempt to give your dog first aid. Different poisonous substances necessitate different responses. While inducing vomiting may be necessary in some cases, inducing vomiting may make your dog sicker. Bring your dog to the vet as soon as possible and allow your veterinarian to administer appropriate treatment.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, come to our office right away. Our reliable and compassionate team of veterinary specialists is here for your pet in times of emergency.

Walk-in Patients Welcome

At Rossmoyne Animal Emergency Trauma Center you never need an appointment to access our full complement of emergency services. We treat both walk-in patients and referrals for urgent veterinary care.

Contact Us

Contact (717) 796-2334